...all things pertaining to the warmth and coziness of home

Wednesday 29 July 2015

Paint, Lace, and Old Hymn Pages

...is what I used for this...
 
 
I kinda like how it turned out.
I knew I wanted to Mod Podge something on the top of the table,
I just wasn't sure what.
 
 
I decided on using some hymn pages from an old hymnal.
A few years ago, an antique store had a clearance section of old books.
I snatched up quite a few hymn books for projects.
 
 
I pulled out pages with titles that ministered to me.
 
 
I arranged them first and then put a small piece of frog tape on so they would stay together.
(You could also use sticky tack underneath, I just didn't have any)
 
I thought there would be less of a chance of the paper ripping
when I took the tape off if I used the Frog Tape.
 
I made a crease all around the table except for the straight edge.
Then I carefully flipped the whole thing together and cut along the inside of the creased line,
and then put it back on top of the table.
 
 
I applied Mod Podge on the table a bit at a time starting at one end,
and immediately putting the sheets on.
(It was hard to take pictures doing this part)
Then I very carefully took the tape off and applied Mod Podge several times to the entire top.
A small amount of the ink came off when the tape came off but it actually adds to the vintage look.
 
 
There were a couple of air pockets but they eventually worked themselves out.
(That's why you have to do a bit at a time! It dries pretty quick.)
Give it a few coats to glue it and seal it.
 
 
Beautiful titles to some old hymns.
 
 
I painted the piece of the table where the lace is black, but it just didn't look right.
Then I thought about gluing some flat lace on top.
I have to say it adds a nice vintage touch.
 
 
Paint, Lace, and Old Hymn Pages
 
 
The table is sealed with clear wax with touches of dark wax for the distressed look.
 
 
I made my own chalk paint from Lowe's Olympic ICON,
and the colour of the paint is Brandied Pears.
If you're looking how to make your own chalk paint,
check the video below.
 
 
The recipe I use is: 3 tablespoons plaster of paris mixed with two tablespoons of warm water.
Stir the mixture well into one cup of latex paint of your colour choosing.
 
 
Before and After
 
 
I'm working on a little vignette for the table.
 
But that's for another post.
 
Have a great day!
 
Blessings, 
   
Sharing this post with:
 

26 comments :

  1. I love this, what a beautiful piece!! Visiting from Ivy and Elephants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice transformation. It will be a lovely addition to your home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra! I'm still trying to decide where I want it to go.

      Delete
  3. I just love how your created such a sweet table! I bought a hymn book a while ago not knowing what I was going to use the pages on. I also had a table like yours but I stenciled the top. This idea is just so unique that I will be on the lookout for another table to try it! The lace is the perfect finishing touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you AnnMarie! I didn't have it all planned out right away. Sometimes you just have to start and the ideas come after that! Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  4. Oh...I am simply in love with your beautiful half-moon table! Dear Diane, what an exquisite makeover...the lace adds such lovely vintage charm and the hymn pages are perfect...isn't Modge Podge delightful...? Decoupage is such a wonderful way to spruce something up...I have a table in my sewing room which I am eyeing...I saw a fabulous idea once for using old pattern pieces to decoupage a table... Now wouldn't that be fun to undertake! I look forward to seeing the lovely vingette you create for your lovely 'new' piece of furniture - you are truly so creative! Smiles...
    Have a blessed day futher...much love!
    Kelly-Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I saw that same idea. You would have to be extra careful due to how thin pattern pieces are. All the fun is in trying! Lovely to hear from you sweetie! Hugs!

      Delete
  5. Hello Diane, I LOVE this table and what you have done. I mean even homemade paint? WOW! It is absolutely beautiful and I featured it on my FB page. Thanks for sharing at the Wonderful Wed. Blog Hop. Carrie, A Mother's Shadow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing this on your FB page! You've been so kind. I'll be visiting again soon!

      Delete
  6. The table turned out great! I have one very similar that needs something done to it and this just might be it. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ~Trisha

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! Love the hymn pages so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the old hymns because of the heart and the poetry involved in writing them. It's a unique way to keep them visible.

      Delete
  8. Your table looks so pretty! I love old sheet music used in decor. That was a creative way to use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! I've used it on a few other projects as well. Have a great day!

      Delete
  9. Looks terrific, love the idea of the hymns and the lace is a wonderful touch!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love to paint demi lune tables and have brought many back to life, however I have never used sheet music - what a great idea!! Love how this turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That really came out great! I'd love to try something with book pages -- very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It turned out cute Diane! I love the added lace. I Mod Podged book pages inside of an armoire in one of our guest rooms. I love old hymn books and pick them up whenever I run across them. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Diane, your table is so beautiful! As a fellow lover of hymns this is something I would LOVE to have in my home :) You have inspired me, dear friend, and I will be featuring this at Roses of Inspiration later this afternoon. Thanks for joining the party.

    Have a beautiful week. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello! I am visiting from Roses of Inspiration and right away I saw this lovely table! I have two of these that I bought at a flea market several years ago for just a few bucks. I have always loved these cute little tables and I just really love what you have done to this. I want to do this to mine! I guess this is why we share our ideas on out blog and Pinterest...so we can be copy cats...lol! I have an old hymnal that I might just have to pull a few pages from. Thanks for such lovely inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your table is just lovely! I love the use of the hymnal pages and old lace.
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a neat idea! I love it! Hmm...I need to try and do this some time, what a fun little project. I love the lace at the bottom!
    I hope you have a lovely week! Blessings, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a neat idea! I love it! Hmm...I need to try and do this some time, what a fun little project. I love the lace at the bottom!
    I hope you have a lovely week! Blessings, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a cute look for that table! Thanks for joining Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete

I so appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. I am blessed by each one. Diane