...all things pertaining to the warmth and coziness of home

Sunday 27 October 2013

Old and Worn Hymnals

Last month on one of my daytrips, we stopped at an antique store in the town of Sparta.
There was a shelf full of books that were 50% off. Well that is just a magnet. I was there in a second.
Lots of old books!
 But what would I do with so many? I know, I'm sure you could think of lots of things and I could too, but I have to be practical too.
And then I saw them!
 Old worn and torn hymn books.
 
 The ideas for these started flooding and then I remembered I had the rest of the store to check out too! While holding on to the books, I was wondering about the other hands that had held these books while singing to their Saviour.
 
The Sweetest Name. I don't know this song but I love the title!
The cost of one of these hymnals was 15 cents. I can't make out the year of the books due to how worn out they are.
 
We don't sing the old hymns much anymore. Some of the artists are incorporating them into newer versions and we sang one this morning. I'm glad I grew up with these old and glorious songs
 
One of my favourite hymns is Fairest Lord Jesus. Here are the words:
 
Fairest Lord Jesus, Ruler of all nature,
O Thou of God and man the Son,
Thee will I cherish, Thee will I honor,
Thou, my soul’s glory, joy and crown.
Fair are the meadows, fairer still the woodlands,
Robed in the blooming garb of spring;
Jesus is fairer, Jesus is purer,
Who makes the woeful heart to sing.
Fair is the sunshine, fairer still the moonlight,
And all the twinkling starry host;
Jesus shines brighter, Jesus shines purer
Than all the angels heaven can boast.
All fairest beauty, heavenly and earthly,
Wondrously, Jesus, is found in Thee;
None can be nearer, fairer or dearer,
Than Thou, my Savior, art to me.
Beautiful Savior! Lord of all the nations!
Son of God and Son of Man!
Glory and honor, praise, adoration,
Now and forever more be Thine.
You can hear the song below. It's embellished a bit but it's a beautiful song.
 
Happy Sunday!
Blessings, Diane
 
 

2 comments :

  1. Diane, I love so many things about this post. I love that you enjoy antique stores, and that you like old books, and that you showcased the beautiful old hymnals that you found. Took me right back to the sweet little country church of my childhood! I think my favorite part was when you wrote, "While holding on to the books, I was wondering about the other hands that had held these books while singing to their Saviour." Truly a connection through time to kindred spirits. :)

    Love, Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What treasures you've found, bless you!
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete

I so appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. I am blessed by each one. Diane